Monday 21 January 2013

Down on the Farm

A nice day off today was made even better by John telling me that he too was taking the day off! So we have had a bit of a lazy day together but I was determined to take him out for lunch somewhere we have never been.  We are spoilt for choice really in Bristol but we didn't fancy driving to far with snow and ice all around so we drove down to the area of St Werburghs as there is a small city farm ran by volunteers.  It's hidden in such a little community, off the main road, that it isn't the kind of place you would find unless you are going there with specific intention.  I remember a friend introduced me to it a few years back on a lovely hot summers day and I was so grateful to have found it.

There is a local cafe that I have been meaning to visit for some time, the only time I have tried in the past was on the one day of the week that they are closed. So that was where we headed and a nice time was had by all (well maybe not John, who ended up paying as cards weren't accepted). So much for treating him to lunch!

St Werburghs City Farm, Bristol


 
I thought it was a good opportunity to dig out the new Tweed jacket that I found last week in the PDSA charity shop, although I should have worn something much warmer! Jeans are one of my favourite pairs from work and the boots are from Marks & Spencer, about 10 years ago. They were £7 in one of their clearance shops (so of course I bought three pairs in different colours!).
 
 
 
This is the "Farm" pub just around the corner from the city farm itself.  I love the way they have painted the wall. There is a lot more detail up close, it's a shame that the photo doesn't do it justice.

 
New age plant pot

 
This is inside the cafe - it makes you feel like Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit!  It's a great little place that prides itself of fair trade, organic and locally sourced products.  Some of the fresh produce is even grown on the farm next door.

 
Local residents

 
How cute is he.  I wish I could be a vegetarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment