Sunday 6 January 2013

Clean Slate

Afternoon ladies (and maybe men?),

A New Year tends to get us all thinking about food.  Over-eating during the Christmas festivities, cutting the calories after a New Years Eve burn-out or just re-visiting the amount of times we visit Burger King in a calender month.  I love food and wish to god I could be more disciplined but I just think that's they way I'm built.   So, on that note, I remembered some lovely food "accompaniments" that John bought me earlier in 2012.

We were watching the lovely Mr James Martin on Saturday Morning Kitchen (the kind of programme that inspires you to try out new foods but you know deep down you will never get around to it unless someone else makes it for you).  He'd prepared a lovely meal that I cannot remember but he served it up on slate plates.  It looked amazing.  He'd also written in chalk on the slate, the name of the dish.  So with inspiration in my belly, I pursuaded John to take me to a local reclamation yard in search of some old second-hand slate tiles. And low and behold, we found some.  We bought 8 I think for £12 and borrowed a steam cleaner to give them a good blast before using them.   Reclamation yards are great for finding some old second-hand gems.  Things like antique mirrors, old road signs, great big free standing baths and most at reasonable prices. 

Here is one of our slates all dressed up and ready to go.......and yes, technically that should be a baguette not a roll. What can I say, times are hard.




I also got my gorgeous mirror from a reclamation yard near to the SS Great Britain in the town centre. It was £60 probably 15 years ago now but I fell in love.  It takes pride of place wherever I live but it weighs around 6 stone in weight so it's a challenge finding an appropriate resting place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment