Sunday 20 January 2013

Amazing Etsy Interview!

Hi All,

I am so pleased with this.....

I finally bought a couple of things on Etsy and I plucked up the courage to ask the seller if she  would give me a little interview for my blog and this is what she sent! It's really interesting, I hope you like it. It's nice to hear about fellow "rummagers" from across the pond. Jess is from Mattoon, Illinois in the US.



My name is Jessica, I sell anything vintage at “Volkerwandering” on Etsy.com. My shop’s name is kind of a mouthful, and I am considering changing it to something easier. “Volkerwandering” is a made up word inspired by the German word, meaning “migration of the peoples”. I wanted something different, unique, and if googled, would be the first thing to pop up!

I first discovered vintage while shopping at garage sales with my mom. I was always attracted to items I could use or anything from the 60’s/70’s. After some time of this fun mother/daughter activity, we had collected several vintage costume jewelry pieces. My mom also introduced me to Etsy, and she invited me to sell on her store, “Machelle”. She sells handmade purses, vintage clothing, & accessories. Once I sold a few things, I started to invest more time and money into collecting anything vintage. I got really involved with vintage, learning about it, buying it, using vintage myself through out my home and wardrobe…and I decided to open my own shop. Since starting it in Nov. 2010, I am pleased to say I have made over 1700 sales! In addition to selling vintage on Etsy, I also sell handmade yarn globes, decoupaged suit cases, and vintage inspired dresses. I taught myself how to take an old vintage pattern and vintage bed sheets and turn them into dresses. It took me about ten tries before I finally got it right! I am most inspired by peter pan collars, full skirts, the TV shows “Project Runway”, and “Mad Men”.


Etsy has really come through for me in this tough economy. I really enjoy being my own boss! Being able to use my hobby of scoring neat vintage stuff, making a profit, & sharing it with people around the globe has given me a lot of confidence. When sales are slow, I usually pick up a part time job. Selling on the internet can be profitable, but not always steady! Right now I work at a sandwich shop, and when I’m not being a sandwich artist, I am hunting for vintage, listing, selling, and packaging items. My New Year’s resolution is to make two vintage inspired dresses a week, and so far, so good!




When I go shopping, I always make sure I have business cards with me. People always get curious when they see what I’m picking up and filling my cart with. It is a rare day when I leave the Goodwill store with less than two bags! I am fortunate enough to live near some great thrift stores, and I go shopping whenever I can. Chat up the folks that work there, get to know them, and they will get to know you and what you buy! I find the best items in the beginning of the week, when most stores start a new tag sale. Garage sales are a big event for me. I print out a map of my town, pin point when they begin, and this way I never miss one! When going yard “sailing”, watch out for distracted drivers/pedestrians, make sure you get a good parking spot, where you won’t get trapped in, and ALWAYS bring enough cash! Have you ever found something awesome, bought it, took it home and discovered there was something wrong with it? Check over any item you buy for stains, missing buttons, loose seams, or any other damage. For shoes, give each sole a good tug, to make sure they won’t fall apart the first day you wear them! Make sure to point out any damage to the seller, sometimes you can get a discount or even stuff for free!




I buy anything I think I would want, which includes psychedelic flowers, mushroom/fruit related, kitschy, or just cute! This may sound a bit silly, but it is a strategy that has worked for me! Also, anything weird or unique! Research on certain items can be very profitable too. I had an old microscope in a wooden box just sitting around my house for a year, when I finally got motivated to sell it, lo and behold it was worth about $75! So do your research, because that $5 impulse buy might just be a gem collecting dust on your shelf! If you are interested in selling vintage items, I find it is best to list a lot and often. This way when new potential buyers are surfing Etsy, your items will appear in the “most recent” section. Another way to get traffic is to have sales with coupons, because who doesn’t like coupons? As a seller you can choose from free shipping or a percentage off!


I am familiar to selling on eBay and honestly I have to say, Etsy wins. Ebay is good for selling items in lots, obscure items, & unique electronics. It is also great for purchasing free small gifts I occasionally include in the packages I send off. The fees are inflated though, and they add up fast! Ebay has more options, but you just can’t beat internet space for 4 months, 5 pictures, at only 20 cents an item on Etsy! (there is also 3.5% transaction fee, but that’s fine!) Etsy just keeps getting better, with fresh search options, great tips, and now buyers can use their credit card to check out. It’s easy and simple once you get the hang of it! I think it would be great if Etsy allowed us to attach music to our shop home page and to our items while people are browsing. If I had a choice, I would play jazz or some other groovy old music, to create nostalgia for customers...

Etsy

1 comment:

  1. “I really enjoy being my own boss!”—Everybody can agree with Jess. Earning your own profit is definitely an ego-booster! But of course, it’s nothing without having a head for business. You can’t just get what you want with just a wave of your hand. It’s a mixture of hard work and perseverance.

    Clint @Franchise Match

    ReplyDelete