Wednesday 5 December 2012

The second-hand Crimbo challenge!


Tis' the season to be grumpy, fahlalalalalala.....

There is something about this time of year that turns certain people into real misery guts. We have had plenty of them in the shop recently and it doesn't make you feel very festive! I know it can be stressful for some and money is certainly tight for most of us but my friend Jo had a good idea that could help with that age old dilemma - what on earth do I buy for so and so??? (and how much can I afford???? ). 

Her family have challenged each other to find something for a particular family member from a charity shop for no more than £5. BUT........it's got to be a proper present (not a jokey item like you would buy for Donald in the Accounts Dept as part of your work secret Santa).

Now, she won't mind me saying this but she certainly isn't a charity shop convert despite my trying to re-educate her. So, I shall be following this challenge with interest! What a great idea though......(I actually think it may be her sisters idea, I can't remember....if it is  - good one Em!!!!!!).  There are so many nice things you can find if you just dedicate a little bit of time to rummaging.  A gorgeous vase for example, or a new book, an unwanted picture frame or a nice piece of deco jewellery.  There are so many brand new items that are just discarded, there is no shame in buying something for someone else.

It got me to thinking about what presents I have bought for loved ones in pre-loved paradise.  I have bought John several shirts/tops (one was even Ralph Lauren) but the chances of getting him to pose for my blog are pretty slim.



My mum loves koala bears so when I saw this, I had to get it. She's already mad about brooches and loves golds and browns so this was perfect. It was £3 from Clic Sargent in Downend.

I bought these for John from St Peters Hospice in Downend  and gave them to him to wear on our wedding day! He loves his Bud so these were meant to be. I was so happy when I saw them in the glass cabinet, in a gift box too. Brand new for £5.
Now this little beauty is a bit special as I bought it for myself and Michala then fell in love with it. I think it was from St Peters Hospice in Fishponds. BUT.....when I was visiting a different St Peters in Westbury on Trym, I saw exactly the same bag - again!  I have no idea how. It has no label inside to suggest its from a mass marketed high street chain but I snapped it up straight away for Mickey and I was really proud when she took it with her to an important interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment