Sunday 24 February 2013

The "Caped" Crusader....

 
Another early Sunday start to get down to the Bristol Flea Market & Vintage Fair at Ashton Gate.  This is becoming somewhat of a monthly pilgrimage to join the hustle and bustle at the football grounds.  I arrived around 9.30am so as to get some early bargains and yet again, even at that early hour, it was packed full of truffle-hunters.  The more I go to these things, the more I understand about the world of second-hand goods. It really is a massive economy in its own right.  There are signs-a-plenty brandishing the words "vintage" and "retro" to entice the customers.  I am always amazed at how over-utilised those words are just for the purposes of inflating prices.
 
There hasn't been that many clothes stalls of late, mainly furniture, jewellery, bags and ornaments.  I tried on a beautiful green fedora hat but it was sadly destined for a much smaller head. BUT, I did find this gorgeous fake-fur cape.  A cape was another item on my "covet" list for this year so that is another tick in the box.  On the downside however, there were a lot of real fur items at the fair. Something I am completely against and will never understand.  Anyway, my little beauty was £12. I was considering haggling her down to £10 but it has never been my strong point. So £12 it was but that is still a very good price.  Some of them were over priced at £40 and £50 upwards so I was happy to hand over that amount.
 
I wanted to have a play around with different looks for it and here are the results.....
 

 
This is one of my favourite dresses.  I feel instantly transported back to 1940, just add red lipstick and a victory roll hairstyle.

 
A "Maggie" style bag and leather gloves are a must I think with this look.

 
I wanted a big frilly bow blouse for this look but I didn't have one that seemed to suit so I stole a sash from one of my dresses and used it around my neck.

 
This dress was from Wallis where I work. I popped in with my Sister-in-law on a day off and someone had just returned it so I snapped it up.  It is a lovely forest green colour and very fitted (the picture doesn't really do it justice).  I wanted the picture to give a nod to old Hollywood glamour. 


 A necklace from Bath Aqua Glass teamed with some forest green heels from my beloved Marks & Spencers (that I have yet to wear....) and a gem bracelet (again from Wallis).  It was originally £30 full price and I waited and waited and because there was one stone missing, it eventually got reduced to £1.  Meant to be.

 
 
 
This is one of the rings that I bought at the last vintage fair, priced at £3.

 
And finally, a casual look accessorised by a wolf.  I would like to think that I will wear the cape with jeans and heels occasionally and not just keep it for special occasions.  Life is an occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment