Saturday 9 February 2013

Hooray for Hollywood

It arrived! My latest (and not so secret)  Etsy purchase.

I thought I would come clean with John and tell him about it (especially as he collected it for me from the Post Office this morning). BUT......I did not come clean about the other two items and unfortunately for me, the label listed all three on the outside of the packet!  I had hoped his poor eyesight might miss it. No such luck.


This is Jess the owner of the shop on Etsy - Volkerwandering. I have bought a few vintage bits from her now as she sells some gorgeous pieces.

It's a typical 1950's-esque Hollywood style dress. I am so pleased with it. My friend Harriet has just looked at it though and said "and where are you going to wear that?......" She has a point. It's is not the kind of outfit one wears to the corner shop but I am determined to find an occasion. Maybe a Valentines meal...if I am lucky. I fear I have some brownie points to make up yet. 


It's a lovely silky material with an accordion pleat, long skirt which are always really flattering (much more than box pleats). 



I found a sketch (on the right) of this style in my Fashion Source Book that details pretty much every design through the ages and it's shown under the lingerie section for 1947. I do remember seeing old Hollywood starlets wandering around wearing this style of dress in films, as an overlay to some slinky underwear. I am sure Elizabeth Taylor would have done so! 


Another gorgeous dress with a similar style. Not mine I hasten to add! 

No comments:

Post a Comment