Monday 25 March 2013

Mad Men (and women)

 
Evening all......
 
I was flicking through a magazine the other day (I found a rare 5 minutes of free time) and I came across an article featuring the beautiful Christina Hendricks, she of Mad Men fame. Not only is she an archetypal femme fatale, she epitomises 1950's American glamour with her killer curves. 
 
 
(pic courtesy of Google images)
 
The 1950's are a favourite decade of mine, an era when women were real women that wore full satin dresses just to lounge around their apartment and they wouldn't dare leave the house with chipped nail vanish.  Office work in that day would of course require a dress (or a skirt at the very least), heels and probably a statement brooch of some kind, or even a corsage.  My working wardrobe these days is pre-defined as I have to wear the clothes I sell (thankfully I love them) but when I worked in an office a while back, I used to love dressing up and I do miss having that element of self-styling taken out of my hands. I have suitcases full of "work wear" that I cannot wear at Wallis but they may one day be resurrected.
 
Anyway, the article got me to thinking about some of the second-hand outfits that I have that could loan themselves back to that time.  I am certainly no Miss Hendricks but I do favour clothes that show off your curves so with that in mind, I decided to dress up and have a bit of fun. 
 
 (And yet again, I'm just not comfortable in front of the camera for these blog photos, so apologies for the cheesy grins).
 
 
 
This dress was £8 from the St Peters Hospice  in Staple Hill, Bristol and was originally an M&S dress from their Classic collection. That collection tends to be aimed at the older woman (dare I say) but I thought it was a lovely dress. Its silky polyester, nipped in at the waist with a lovely accordion pleat skirt.  I picked out the turquoise for a corsage and shoes and I will probably throw a ribbon belt around the waist from time to time.  I would definitely wear this if I worked in an office.  Shoes are also M&S from a sale a few years ago and were £3.  I miss those sales, they seem to be a thing of the past now.

 
Now this skirt is one of my favourites. It wasn't second-hand in fact it was around £100 but it was a present from an ex-boyfriend. I made a comment about how lovely it was when I saw it in the window of French Connection and when I popped in a different shop he went back and bought it. Just like that.  More money than sense (despite the wonderful gesture), I would never spend that on a skirt but I love it all the same and have worn it hundreds of times over the last 10 years. The cardigan is second-hand and the brand is Hobbs. Again, a shop that I don't ever shop in because of their prices but they do make some beautiful British made, classic pieces.  I think cardigans get a bad wrap as  unsexy, granny faves but I love a good cardigan.  Especially a little v-neck fitted number.  They can be very sexy depending how you wear them.   The brooch was £1 from Primark, great bargain but it is so heavy it really does weigh down anything you pin it to.

 
Black & White. A classic.  This was £5 from a charity shop in Weston-super-Mare and I always wear it with another favourite Primark brooch.  Its not easy to see but the top half is cream lace and just makes it that little bit special.   The shoes are about 15 years old from New Look and they are still going strong.
 
 
I love the colour and the square neckline of this dress. It too was from the St Peters Hospice in Staple Hill and was around £5. It's jersey so not very forgiving, (hence the cleverly placed arm) but still quite striking and the satin edging just adds that special little touch.

 
 
Jacket and skirt this time are both M&S. Jacket was £4 from a charity shop and the skirt was direct from M&S. Accordion pleat (again) and satin material.  I had to have it - even at full price (which doesn't happen often thankfully), and mum's discount card helped in the decision making process.  It's so big and just swishes beautifully as you walk. There is something so feminine about this type of skirt. I have a real soft spot for them and my mission to get one in every colour is going well. "Space in the wardrobe" mission however, is going less well.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment