Sunday 30 June 2013

Penchant for Pendants...



As well as having adorned our house with hundreds of shoes, bulging wardrobes and oodles of bags, I also have a couple of necklaces hanging around the place. They hang on doors, coat hangers and  on little trinkets in the bathroom so I thought it was about time I posted about some of my favourites (pictured above). 

Each one has a story to tell but I shall try and keep them short......
From left to right.....

  1. Difficult to see but this pendant is graduated different colours of amber that I bought on a trip to Poland with my mum. We went to Krakow and amber is in abundance there, spilling out of every market stall and despite the recent increase in prices, you can still find some beautiful pieces for less than £10. This one was about £4. Amazing. 
  2. This would be in my top 3, I adore it. It was expensive (£50) and I never normally spend that kind of money but I fell in love....again. It came from a little stall at the Bath Christmas Markets last year. And because it has so many colours, you can match it up to pretty much any outfit so despite the price, it's like having 7 necklaces in one. Good financial sense.
  3. This petite little red heart was a gift from my mother-in-law last Christmas. I used to admire it every time she wore it and then last year she gave it to me. It still touches me now as she often wears the matching earrings but gave away her necklace. I am a lucky lady.
  4. The diagonal white and silver pendant came from my beloved Cannes in France. Every Saturday in the summer there is a market on the seafront and I found a man selling trays and trays of cheap pendants. Cheap and Cannes do not normally go hand in hand so I snapped it up quickly. €3 euros! 
  5. This one came from France also but the Sunday market in St Raphael where I spent the best year of my life. My mum was visiting me at the time and she also wanted one so we got a deal for both. The colours represent the different chakra's in the body apparently. The stall holder did try to explain more but I struggled to understand it all in French. 
  6. Encore la France! St Raphael again but this time it was bought this year when we went back in April. It was a rainy day and the kids and job were dribbling at the choice of ice cream stalls along the seafront so I took the opportunity to duck I to a little gift shop where I found this cobweb necklace. A little Gothic in style and not my normal "tasse de thé" but something cried out to me.
  7. This lovely blue "Lady Di" style necklace was my something blue at my wedding and it cost £2 from Primark. I also bought the matching ring. I love cobalt blue and wear this necklace often, always with fond memories of the best day of my life.
  8. These three interwoven rings were bought in Clovelly, one of England's most beautiful villages. John and I were camping in Devon and went there for the day. Each one has tiny little purple and violet stones, it's so dainty. 
  9. A beautiful starfish bought on our honeymoon last year in Santorini. This lovely blue stone was everywhere on the island but I am ashamed to say I cannot remember what it was. It was around £60 but John let me spend some of our wedding euros to treat myself before we left. 
  10. This big, deep red, stone circle was another find at the Bath Christmas market a couple of years ago for £10. I love it but don't wear it as often as I should. No idea why. You need to wear quite a deep v-neck or low top to do it justice as it is surprisingly big. 
  11. The little one to its side is the pendant that I found a couple of months back I a charity shop for £3. 
  12. This is a real statement Art Deco style piece. John sneakily bought it when I wasn't looking one day on a shopping trip. I was dribbling at it in the window of Past Times, a lovely shop that has since closed down. He presented it to my on my graduation two years ago. A lovely surprise. 
  13. This key is unfortunately not the real Tiffany Key necklace but I love it all the same.  I found it in a little shop in Ilfracombe, Devon while on a weekend away last April with John, his son and his girlfriend.  I have always wanted a key necklace but hadn't really found one that I really loved until then. I think it was £16.
  14. This necklace was a gift from Jo for my 30th birthday and I wear it all the time. The lovely cream colour makes it so versatile, it just goes with anything and it is very dear to me.  I love square necklaces and rings. I shall still be wearing this in my eighties (along with the tutu and mother ship of all corsages).
  15. This silver beaded drop necklace was once my nan's and its really special to me. I am so careful when I wear it, I would be heartbroken if it ever broke. I can still see her now sat in the window of her flat, twiddling these beads around her fingers and thumbs as she watched the world go by. There is something a bit Barbara Cartland about it. Thanks Nan.
  16. Last and by no means least....another little treat from France. This one from the Verdon Gorge on a day trip this year on our holiday.  We always stop in the same little craft shop there that is rammed with little treasures. I bought a beautiful olive wood bowl a few years ago in there, that I use to store all my rings in.  I loved the twisted design of this with tiny little embedded stones all the way down. And for only £7, it wasn't going to be left behind.

 
And this lovely thing was another glorious charity shop find. I found it at the same time as my beloved cream cowboy boots after a lovely afternoon with and old friend in a local cafe with far too much red wine shared.  It really is a wow piece and I feel special whenever I put it on. It was £3.75 I think. I remember getting that and the boots for just under £10. Great afternoon.
 
So there you have it. A selection of my favourite pendants and their story.  All I need now is a 5 storey jewellery box to store them (and their brothers and sisters) in.


No comments:

Post a Comment