Monday 11 November 2013

I'll have a V please Bob...

Ok, so this is not going to be the most exciting post ever but then it's not all about beautiful gowns and treasured finds. Sometimes the most simple things can be treasured to. After all, I seem to be dressing up and going out less and less (as our funds are getting less and less) so it's important to find joy in the everyday too.

So here goes....my name is Louisa Merchant-Locke, and I am a fan of the v-neck. They have been a staple item in my wardrobe for years (many thanks to my beloved Marks and Spencer who seem to produce them in every colour imaginable). But they also seem to be a staple item in charity shops also. So year on year, when I think mine have been through the wash a few too many times) I replenish the stocks. The ones below are what I have bought this autumn for no more than £3.50 each. Some brand new with tags and super-soft!


I tend to go for slightly oversized ones so they have that slouchy look (that's just made me feel really old as I know 10 years ago I was squeezing into size 8's trying to get them as fitted as possible).  But they are so easy to wear, and smart too. You can pair them with jeans for lounging around the house, or if you need a quick fix, you could swap your jeans for some wet-look leggings, leather trousers, cigarette pants or even a smarter pair of tight jeans, matching colour heels and a statement necklace and you are evening ready.

This week in BHS they paired a turquoise v-neck with a black leather-look pencil skirt, white shirt and a real statement gothic necklace. Very edgy for BHS! The funny thing was, our deputy manager didn't seem too impressed with the "look" and asked if I would wear it. And of course me being me and him not realising I am quite eccentric when it comes to fashion, said yes, of course. I think it showed customers a different way of wearing the classic V, and I was pleased they dressed the mannequin slightly more fashion-forward (even if their target customer is slightly more fashion-behind). 

So there you have it, don't let your V's languish at the bottom of your wardrobe, screwed up and unloved. Dig them out, dust them off and wear them with pride.  Or even better, treat yourself to a couple of new ones from your local charity shop. Go for some nice bright colours such as jewel tones to ward off the winter blues.

If you can think of other ways to wear them or if you have some great looks you have created...be sure to let me know.....


No comments:

Post a Comment