Wednesday 7 August 2013

So this is 40...

Well, I have put it off long enough and been living in the hope of a last minute reprieve (that didn't come).  So last week, I am sad to say, I turned 40.



It's is not a number that I ever wanted to associate myself with, considering I have the mental age of a teenager still, but unfortunately, I no longer have the body of a teenager. So aptly, I have myself, become vintage.

A woman's reaction to age is a strange one. I have spoken to many people about the subject and got mixed responses. One lady I met last week was elated when I brought up the subject stating that she absolutely loved turning forty. She is now 46 and said that she is still celebrating.  I, on the other hand, am slightly less enthusiastic. 40 seems like a mental benchmark by which you should measure your life's work so let's have a go. On paper, I have achieved a lot and am a very lucky person.  I have met and married the man of my dreams, I am healthy.......ish and I have friends and family that love and support me. Add to that the niceties of my life.....an Alaskan Malamute that brings me joy every day (especially when he howls), a wonderful memory bank of travels from all over the world and a wardrobe that Carrie Bradshaw would kill for (without the designer price tag). So why the long (slightly lined) face......

I suppose a lot of it is to do with time. Time passed and time yet to spend. Spend doing the millions of things that are still on my very long list. And the other issue is slightly more shallow. Shallow enough to convince me to succumb to a cracking deal on magical anti-ageing products on the home shopping channel.

I probably should have gone down the "Michala" route and declared a month of partying and plans but I couldn't gather up the enthusiasm. My friend Michala had a birthday "month" in June when she turned 30, culminating in the best party ever. I too had a party with all my loved ones but I certainly don't  have a month of celebrations planned. Maybe I should have. Not sure if I can backdate celebrations and use the month of August instead?  Anyway, I shall soon post about all my wonderful  prizes that I received to offset the sadness of my ageing. I was well and truly spoilt.

Ps.....the beautiful card above was made by the lovely Emma Foster for my birthday. So thanks to her, I can now add paper quilling to my extremely long list of things to do.








No comments:

Post a Comment