Sunday 15 November 2015

Vintage memories...




Hello fellow foragers, I hope you've had an amazing week. 

Mine has been a real mixture of emotions and situations. Second week in my new job and it already feels like I've been there for ages. A good sign me thinks. Things are slowly starting to slot into place and the million pieces of new information are finally taking root in my head. I was also lucky enough to see a very dear friend that was home on a rare trip from Australia. There were lots of smiles and tears as we talked over some incredible memories and shared new stories of how life is now. We first met almost 25 years ago when the only thing that seemed to matter was a Saturday night at Mr B's nightclub in sunny Weston-super-Mare. And thanks to meeting up again, all those filed away memories are now pouring back out, making me smile once more. For several years our little 'gang' held tight as we drank Mad Dog 20 20 (can you even buy that anymore?), we danced till dawn then reviewed the evenings shenanigans over the obligatory chicken burger and chips at the taxi rank. Great, great times.  It's fascinating how life changes so much over time. I always think your late teens are such a precious time. A time of new love (and of new love anxiety as you wait by the phone hoping he will call), a time of infinite possibilities as you merge into adulthood (sometimes unwillingly), trying to figure out who you are and who you want to be. Further studies? Baby plans? Career decisions? It's a time when so many new emotions and situations have to be addressed and massive life lessons are learnt. I would love to wave a magic wand and be transported back once more to one of those Saturday nights. I would certainly have a sharp word with myself over some of my then fashion choices......my androgynous suit and tie phase, my orange psychedelic see-through blouse  that my friend Kirsty aptly named the 'cat sick' blouse and then there's the hot pants. Or ice pants as my friend Ted used to call them. Not my finest moment. But I would just take it all in again, the laughter, the excitement, that feeling of friendships and of first loves. That feeling that for one night at least, nothing can ruin our moment, our time. That feeling like you could live forever. I am lucky to have such wonderful memories to call upon. 

Back to the here and completely hot pant free now, the picture above shows a couple of new editions to the behemoth that is my wardrobe. Cream soft leather cropped trousers and a cropped velvet jacket. Both second-hand of course and both loved very much already. The trousers were a real find. 
£16 from the incredible Ty Hafan Emporium in the Royal Arcade, Cardiff. I haven't yet done a blog 
post about this Aladdin's cave of all things vintage but it won't be long. I thought I'd died and goneto vintage heaven. It's a wonderful place if you like second-hand shopping in great surroundings. 

Being slightly challenged in the height department, cropped trousers are not usually my item of choice but these aren't too short and they are so comfortable. I thought that cream was also a really nice change. The jacket is vintage Alexon, not easy to see in the picture but the condition is perfect and I have worn it to death already and all for the princely sum of £4. 

So there you have it, a nice little pairing for tea down the pub. Again. 
I'm not quite sure what happened to Solo's eyes in this photo, very eerie especially as the picture was ironically taken on Halloween night. His evil side evidently coming out at the thought of us going out without him. We are such bad parents. 











No comments:

Post a Comment