Saturday 28 November 2015

Isn't she lovely...


How elegant does this lady look?

I was lucky enough to be in one of my St Peters Hospice shops the other day (my shops.......I'm so lucky to be able to say that), and this very demure lady walked in. The epitome of old Hollywood glamour, I couldn't stop staring and I had to ask her for a photograph. Not only that, but I was soon to find out that she actually volunteers for us. How lucky are we. I think I am going to have to raise my game if I am to visit that shop when she's around. She agreed that people don't dress up as much as they should, I think that people forget that fashion should and can be so much fun. Why not make a silent statement about who you are, without even opening your mouth. 

My statement would say "I love Audrey Hepburn" or "Thank you Miss Carrie Bradshaw", both of them having played such a significant part in who I have become (my wardrobe 'self' anyway).  I have a library of books on Miss Hepburn. I adore her. Her style, attitude, her zest for life and also her charity work that became so important towards the end of her amazing life. As for the now Mrs Big, Carrie Bradshaw, she of the tutu and vest wearing fame shaped who I was in my early thirties. I have always loved fashion but she inspired me to challenge the norm and to not be afraid to go against the grain and have some fun. Fake fur coat and heels to a lunch? Why not. Tutu and cashmere cardigan for my first date with John? Hell yeah.  She transformed my love of fashion into actual memorable moments that I look back on very fondly. Some good and some bad but I can at least say that I truly played around with my identity through my clothes. I hope I will always continue in that vain, to never lose sight of that fun expressionist inside me. And now working in the charity shop sector myself, I am surrounded by inspirations every day. This wonderful lady being one of them. 

What would your silent statement be? 



No comments:

Post a Comment