Friday 30 October 2015

It's started already....

John's worst fear... that the dream job I am about to start will lead to an increase in second-hand purchases, ensuring our already bulging house is stretched to the max. And last Thursday I gave him fuel for the argument unfortunately.

I had a meeting with my new boss from St Peters Hospice and  I was also lucky enough to meet some of the people I will be working with. We have a few exciting projects coming up over the next few months so we met to discuss them and talk about my induction which officially starts on Monday next week.

Afterwards however, I thought it only wise to check out the local competition as there were several other charity shops in close proximity to ours. I justified it to John as making 'good business sense', knowing damn well he wouldn't fall for it. Anyway, sure enough, I not only scoped the competition fully, I felt like I'd been unfaithful as I made a few sneaky purchases.

Firstly, I did buy a bag from our shop (how could I not). A great fringed piece that is very on-trend and looks as good as new. Originally from H&M, a shop that I love for it's very reasonable prices and strong ethical stance, it was a steal at only £3.99.  I am over the moon with it. I've been lusting after a large fringed tote but I hadn't been lucky enough to find one in a charity shop until that day. It's quite small but ideal for a trip out or an evening down the pub (something we know only too well since we still don't have a kitchen as we are attempting all the work ourselves).


And so to the shoes......

Three pairs in one charity shop haul. Joy for me, woe for hubby. These two were from the PDSA charity shop, just down the road from ours. I always like to support them as I am a huge animal lover. I couldn't imagine my life without animals or pets. My beautiful dog makes every day better just by being there.







They were both £7.99 which was quite expensive as neither pair were new but I was happy to pay the price. The navy ones are my favourite, despite trying not to play favourites with my shoes. Originally from Faith which sadly don't have a shop presence on the British high street any more but they can be found on ASOS and are also still sold in Debenhams. The logo on the sole suggests that they are quite old. I can imagine them once worn the feet of a nervous bridesmaid due to the gorgeous detailing. I however, shall not be keeping them for special occasions. They are far too pretty to be kept for specific outings so I shall wear them any chance I get.

The second pair are from my beloved M&S and funnily (although not surprisingly) enough, I have already got a pair in taupe leather that I bought several years ago so they must be a design staple of theirs. I can't resist a bit of patent though. The 7 year old girl in me just can't pass them by.

Which leads me to my third pair. These were from the Oxfam shop. This shop is only small but I still managed to buy four things. Shoes first:



A gorgeous patent (again) evening pair with an elegant cut-out design. £3.99 in price and worth every penny. These were originally from Office so they would have been a much higher price when sold as new but for that's price and hardly a mark on them, their destiny was pre-determined when I walked in the shop.

I also found a statement vase for when my kitchen when it is eventually finished (cream and cobalt is the colour scheme), a reference book for my collection of 'loo books' so you can educate yourself while sat on the throne and a very pretty Alexon full circle skirt (pictures of them to come soon). Alexon is another distinguished british brand brand that is sadly no more so I feel privileged to have found it. It won't be worn for a while however, as a size 14 back in the day doesn't seem to accommodate a size 14 in my day.




All in all, some amazing purchases for amazing prices. A lovely day was had. I now have the challenge of homing all of them somewhere. Wish me luck......


No comments:

Post a Comment