Saturday 27 October 2012

All the fun of the fair(s) cont.......

Sat 27th October 2012
 
Morning Vintage Vixens!!  It’s a gorgeous day here in Bristol. Cold but gorgeous.  I have the weekend off (rare working in retail) and despite the long list of things we have to do, my wonderful (but long-suffering) husband offered to take me to another vintage fair. This one was at Temple Meads passenger shed. 

http://www.thevintagefair.com/#/bristol/4557305834


It’s a travelling fair that goes to cities all over the country but it’s the first time this particular one comes to Bristol.   It was quite a step back into the past as people made the effort to really dress up. We noticed on our way there, lots of people walking past in 1940’s-1950’s gear – even men in there long coats and wartime style bags (complete with tin mug hanging off of one of them!).  There was a lovely older lady in a pale blue 1940’s style dress with the back-seam stockings and beautiful curled hair.  This fair definitely had the historical feel to it and the items were definitely more expensive.  I did find one little treasure though. A cream silk 1950's style prom skirt with black velvet line detail.  I love full skirts (desite it being a style I should probably avoid as I have rather large hips). It was a bit more than I would normally spend but as it was my sole purchase I rationalised that it was ok (and I promised John we would be in and out in one hour and that I would buy his lunch if he came).    I think I will dress up for the next one…….not sure the tutu is ready to come out of retirement but I am definitely going to put a dress on and make more of an effort. It feels like more of an event that way. Some of the ladies looked beautiful – it harks back to an age where women were real women and wouldn’t dare leave the house without perfect nails and the ultimate red lipstick.

 
 
Not a great photo but I am wearing a velvet Jaeger blazer, Wallis jeans (the only item of clothing not second hand).  My Monsoon top I bought last week in Winterbourne, a fake snakeskin red Birkin-ish style bag with my Nans old scarf hanging off the handle and my new boots bought last week at Ashton Gate.  (I think they may actually be a size 7 but I won't tell my size 5 feet that.  They can cope).
 
 
Here's the skirt.  Its actually got a quilted lining which makes it feel fuller than it is.  The black line is a velvet strip. I have put it with a velvet M&S Per Una jacket (found in a charity shop in Weston about 10 years ago).  I love the back of it - very Anna Karenina.  Shoes are a recent purchase from St Peters again (the heart of my universe) - £4.50.  I would probably dress it down also and wear it with my denim jacket and a nice cream scarf. 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. J'aime beaucoup le noeud dans le dos de la veste.

    ReplyDelete