Monday 21 July 2014

Love, Love, Love...

Last Sunday was our second wedding anniversary.  Two years of fun, laughter, smiles and lots of love.  I am a very lucky woman to have someone like John in my life.

We decided not to go mad and do anything extravagant, the holiday had recently wiped us out and we have a busy few months ahead of us with endless birthdays, christenings and other events (social butterflies that we are.......not). So, we had a very lazy day at home, took the wolf for a long walk in the morning but we went out for a lovely meal in the evening.  Now I'm no good at maths but this was a simple equation for me: evening out + special occasion = excuse to dress up.


I am not a lover of these photo's (not that I am ever a lover of my photo's) but unfortunately David Bailey was unavailable (and so was Kate Middleton's make-up artist).  So, the dress.................

Again, from my most fruitful and recent charity shop run on Gloucester Road in Bristol. It was £5 from the Shelter shop which is a charity that targets homelessness in the UK, something that is prevalent on the streets of Bristol unfortunately. I had already spent around £20 in the shop on other bits and pieces and happened upon the dress on their bargain rail as I was about to leave.  So back to the changing room I went and luckily it fit. I did question whether I needed yet another evening dress, I probably have more of that type of clothing than anything else BUT for £5? Pourquoi pas. 

The fabric is silky jersey with gentle gathering around the waist and a cowl style drop around the bust. No marks or signs of wear and tear so a bargain at that price.

The shoes (matching of course) were ironically a pair that John bought me for Christmas a few years ago so it was only right that they were brushed off for this occasion.


So, the evening was spent at the beautiful Marriott St Pierre Hotel and Country Club which is 5 minutes down the road from our house.  Despite the grandeur of the hotel, as usual I was overdressed, especially in light of the fact is was the evening of the world cup final and the bar was filled with men in shorts that looked like they had just fallen off the golf course and into the 19th hole.  Story of my life.  Even one of the chaps at work recently commented that the art of dressing up seems to have died a sad death. 

Poor John does not relish the whole dressing-up mentality that I was born with.  He frowned at the thought of a shirt and decent shoes for the event but dutifully changed nevertheless. 

Lovely evening, lovely food, lovely company and the sun kept on shining.

 For Germany also it seems.....




No comments:

Post a Comment