Thursday 22 May 2014

Look out the Magg-ies back...

What a brilliant day. Yesterday I turned my back on DIY and all things home improvement for a day in Wells with my lovely friend Jo. She's been telling me for a while that I would love it there for all it's charity shops and little independent boutiques. And love it I did.

Wells is a very pretty place located on the edge of the Mendip hills. It is often described as the smallest city in England due to the presence of its cathedral but it only has a population of around 11,000 people. It has a thriving market town feel to it and is very popular with the tourists all year round. One of which was me.....a day tourist at least.

A selection of second-hand emporiums waited to greet me with open arms, enticing me in to enter and browse. I bought a few lovely pieces that I shall write about at a later date but I couldn't wait to tell you about one place in particular (that we wouldn't even have found if it wasn't for Jo getting us a little lost in search of a car park),  the Wells Trading Post.

I could have happily died and gone to heaven right there.


It was as if all my favourite things had had a discussion and decided to group together purely for my amusement and bewilderment, all under one roof. I could have spent hours rummaging.


I think Jo knew she was in trouble by the wide-eyed smile that took over my face. I am just so happy that we came upon it, I love how life seems to smile on you at certain moments like that as we could have easily missed it.  It had everything from items of furniture, clocks, ornaments, mirrors, collectables and even clothing. For those of you that adore that vintage look to your home, your search is over.  Go forth and splurge because I doubt you will find such a wonderful array of items anywhere else.



The store is set out over three floors, each one offering another feast for your eyes. And here I go with that sentence again, amongst the rails of beautiful vintage clothing I fell in love with an item.  Due to lack of funds however and the rough budget I had given myself (and already spent), purchasing said item was not an option and I am definitely not one of life's great hagglers. But, to my delight (and slight guilt), Jo offered to purchase it for me for my birthday and we also got £5 knocked off the price. The fateful day is a month or so away yet but she said she'd keep it for me and give it to me on the day. I didn't think the day could get any better really. I won't tell you what it is, I shall leave it until my birthday and then show you some photos that will do it justice. But needless to say, it's typically me and not your average piece of clothing and Jo has already specified, I am not to wear it in her presence. 

I'm hoping that was a joke. 


Anyway, something that I did buy myself was this gorgeous red take on my original Maggie bag. If you have previously read about my favourite black bag you will know what I mean but for those that haven't, it's style is reminiscent of the handbags that our esteemed prime minister of old, Margaret Thatcher used as her accessory of choice. It's simple vintage style and clean lines just screams class and I love them. I also have a cream one and if I ever spot other colours, I shall keep on collecting. They also make me think of Grace Kelly and the golden age of Hollywood starlets that sported headscarves and silk gloves with their oh so suggestive tight pencil skirts and their button through blouses. I appreciate that they are a far cry from our dear Maggie but they were also patrons of that perfect little bag.



It's just the deep red but I was hoping to find but until yesterday, I had been unsuccessful in my quest.  It was £12, a little more than I would normally spend but it's such lovely condition and just what I had been after, that I blew my budget once more. 

And I fear that if I return to this amazing Aladdin's cave in the future, no budget will cover what I would like to spend. I urge everyone within a sensible distance to pay it a visit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment