Monday 19 May 2014

Give a little, take a little...




Since buying our house, John and I seem to find ourselves regular visitors to the tip. The endless stream of rubbish, debris and unwanted cargo ensures that we are diamond customers of our local waste recycling facility. 

But on one recent occasion, I actually made a withdrawal from the site, not just a normal deposit. This lovely painted bar mirror was sitting lonely on the side awaiting whatever fate the centre had for it. The usual thing happened.....my face lit up, big smile appeared and I went over and tentatively asked about the future of the item. To my joy, the site worker in question told me I could take it if I liked it, after all that's still recycling isn't it? 

John's face however did not share the same amount of joy as he quipped that he has never known anyone to walk away from the tip with something. I haven't yet decided on a permanent home for it, possibly the kitchen once we have re-modelled it (a long way off yet). I had always hoped I'd find an old vogue-style mirror or some kind of fashion related one, maybe advertising a perfume or some such luxury item but for now I will take an alcohol-related one. 

It's fascinating to see what people take to the tip. Obviously the essence of it is disposal of unwanted goods where our local council then takes responsibility for its demise but me being the hopeless romantic, likes to wonder of the origin and history behind what is discarded. Old toys, bikes, furniture and so on. I wonder how much stuff is taken there that could be given to charity shops for others to enjoy and where charities could financially benefit.  There  is a large sign on the approach to the site advertising their recycling rate, usually around 60-70% which is very impressive and necessary in our "throw-away" age. The amount of rubbish we create and get rid of is scary. John and I are consistently surprised at just how much we can generate as a couple and we are ardent recyclers ourselves.  The issue of the environment and our continued abuse of it is such a scary topic. It's so important for everyone to take on the pledge and do their bit. Our house is filled with up-cycled, re-cycled and renovated pieces because I love the idea that you can give new life to an object that may have otherwise been destined for landfill. And with it comes that sense of satisfaction knowing that you have transformed an item, giving it a rebirth. 

So it may be worth asking yourself the question.....do you do all you can to recycle and re-use?

 I hope so. 

On a separate note, my gorgeous dog is asleep in the background of the picture, most displeased with the current run of hot weather we are having. I love it, his fur coat does not. It is lovely to think that this year, if the nice weather continues, we will be able to enjoy it in our new home and make full use of having a lovely garden for the first time.  We may just have to purchase a paddling pool for Solo! 



No comments:

Post a Comment