Tuesday 27 May 2014

And so to bed...

Hi all,

I wanted to post a quick pic showing some of the little DIY projects and nik-naks I have bought for our bedroom recently. As you know I am always saying how much we are doing on the house, so I thought I'd show you a little bit of our handiwork.


The top picture shows all the trinkets that are on top of  a drawer unit in our bedroom. At the back you can see a round item, not sure how to describe it because I still don't really know what it is but whatever it's original purpose, I painted it silver and it now sits proudly overseeing our lovely room. It was a dark brown wood finish originally that was 50p in Dunelm, one of my favourite shops. I immediately snapped it up, knowing that I could do so something with it. It may have been a doorstop or purely an ornament, I am not sure but I am really pleased with the finished silver result. 

The photo on the left shows a vase and a lamp that were both bought from separate charity shops but seem to match perfectly as they are both slightly Art Deco in style. The lamp was £5 from The British Heart Foundation furniture store in Newport. I love their shops, they are full of furniture and unwanted items awaiting adoption and revamping. The vase came from The St Davids Hospice shop in Bulwark, costing £4. John had to pop to the hire shop next door to arrange some scaffolding for the house and so I was granted 5 minutes of rummaging time while he was occupied. 

The last photo shows a small wall unit that was originally a mug stand. I am ashamed to say that I cannot remember the specific charity shop this came from but it was purchased on my lovely day that I spent with Jo last week in Wells. It was just a natural wood stain so I painted it with black gloss paint to make it more befitting of our bedroom. It now houses an old photo of my lovely Nan, the mini Solo that Hollie made me and a little trinket box.

So there you have it, slowly bit by bit I am filling every space in the house, much to John's dismay. We did buy a big house originally but it is slowly shrinking in size. I read something recently though by a fellow rummager that I thought was nice and apt - "I am obsessed with surrounding myself with beautiful things".  That should be my tag line. And thanks to the wealth of charity shops out there, many of the beautiful things I like, come very, very cheap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment