Wednesday 30 December 2015

Girl Power...

Last night I was whiling away a very lazy hour or so on the sofa, cemented firmly in place thanks to a gluttonous couple of days.  I feel pretty disgusting if truth be told.  I adore food, it's my favourite thing but right now, I am ready to sign up to a detox programme. A programme that keeps me firmly away from the fridge and any manner of wine. The gorging is over, let the salads prevail.

There was nothing on the TV (of course, there never is at Christmas) and so I was flicking through other vintage blogs on the net and occasionally dipping in and out of another love......Etsy.  Somehow however,  my surfing led me to a picture of Charlie's Angels from the 1970's. And there is was, staring me in the face in gorgeous triplicate...I am a child of the 70's and that is my true fashion self.

It was like an epiphany. I had always believed that I was from another era (in terms of dress) but in my mind that era was 1940's/1950's. Don't get me wrong, a full circle skirt or beautiful prom dress will always tempt but it wasn't until I properly thought about it that I realised Bosly's girls below, are my true style icons and always have been. I loved the show as a little girl and begged my dad to let me stay up late and watch it (no iplayer or 4OD back then!). I dreamt of growing up just like them, sassy, cool and with hair that bounced and shone as if it were styled by the gods. I still dream of hair like that now as I have never been able to recreate the 'Angel Wave' but I excel at the 'bed-head disappointment'.


The picture above, for me, epitomises their style and I love every inch of their look;
  • Tight fitting polo neck jumpers, a staple of the sexy secretary wardrobe as well as beautiful crime trios 
  • Pussy bow blouses in super sexy ever-so slightly see through fabrics 
  • Wrap dresses  - we thank you goddess Von Furstenburg 
  • Belted skirts that were floaty enough to skim the hips and the knee but still flattering enough to show a little of the female form 
  • Strappy sandals and high heeled pumps  
Then there's the flip side below..... Androgynous suits with collars fit for Virgin airlines cabin crew
and waistcoats covering the modesty of the low buttoned shirt underneath. I went through a phase in my early 20's of wearing a suit and tie when I went out. I loved it, it was navy blue and double
breasted. I would change the tie colour often and despite it not being the most practical of choices for the dance floor, I wore it with pride to Mr B's nightclub. Strangely, it was a real talking point as men would often come up and comment on it or ask curiously why I am dressed like that. I always found that a little odd as they would bypass my best friend who did everything she could to put herself 'out there' with how she dressed in order to ensnare a catch for the Saturday night slowies at 2am. The memory will always stay in my mind as I never wore it in the hope it would attract anyone, I just loved wearing it for me, craving to be different from everyone else. But it always got more attention than anything else I ever wore but I do believe that fashion can be an amazing conversation starter and that in itself is a very powerful tool. 

I think our leading ladies look very alluring in their suits. Sexiness isn't always about what you can see, but the very strong suggestion of what you can't and that is the trick. 



And then there is the disco wardrobe. Think lurex, sequins, satin leggings, the polar opposite of the men's suit. A look that screams sex and leaves the victim powerless to resist. Again, not all the outfits are tight. A lot of Halstons designs that were a mainstay at Studio 54 in its heyday were long flowing pieces that used meters of silky fabric and yet he will always be remembered for his iconic disco wear and celebrity followers like Lisa Manelli, Bianca Jagger et al. 



Jacqueline Smith is so beautiful, don't you think? 

So this child of the 70's is off to embrace her true self and rifle through her  dressing room for some Angel Apparel worthy of Charlie himself...



No comments:

Post a Comment