Monday 21 December 2015

All white on the night...





Christmas parties are a very British tradition. I remember when I lived in France, my work colleagues  were fascinated by the idea that pretty much every workplace has one and that it is such a big deal on our social calender. The outfit, the theme, the question of with or without partners, do you drink in front of the boss and many other dilemmas. A particularly memorable one for me was when I worked at the Bank of Ireland many moons ago. It was a Moulin Rouge themed night and we went all out. Corsets, fishnets, top hats, it was great fun preparing for it let alone enjoying the night itself. That said, it was right up there for scandal also........a fight broke out between two 'ladies' and they fell into and destroyed the enormous chocolate fountain, somebody seemed to forget where the toilets were and decided to relieve himself over the Christmas tree which then promptly shorted the lights, there was a 'romantic' interlude in the toilets (which probably started the chocolate fountain incident) and last but not least, I managed to slip and break my wrist walking in to the event. Walking out would have been explainable after two many grape juices but walking in? That was a first even for me.  After a few of the aforementioned grape juices however the pain subsided and it wasn't until the next day that it properly hit me and a trip to A&E ensued and being plastered (in a cast) for Christmas.

I usually rely on John's company for a great Christmas night out as up till now, partners were always invited. This year we weren't unfortunately so I was really disappointed. Luckily I managed to get a last minute ticket to my works party (being the new girl) which only gave me two days to think about an outfit. The event was a carnival theme but not having a massive stash of Carmen Miranda-esque costumes, I opted for this dress instead. I posted about it recently, it was an amazing find from a shop on Gloucester Road in Bristol. I had never been in before and I sadly can't remember the name. It was a quirky shop full of incense burners and Bob Marley memorabilia but they had an amazing vintage rail at the back of the shop.  Once again, I fell in love and had to buy it. When you wear it, it makes you feel like a cross between Joan Collins and a cupcake. There are so many layers of satin, the picture doesn't really show them to their full effect. White is a brave decision for me. It's not something I lean towards if truth be told. It's not traditionally a colour favoured by the curvy but in the absence of a choice of colours, white it was. Cobalt blue would have been the dream.

And it held up its end of the bargain and saw me (and my outlandish) dance moves well into the wee hours. And even while snoring and cradling a bottle of bubbly in the car on the way home, it returned home as good as new (as good as second-hand at least). Needless to say, I had a great night. I danced for hours and it's been a while since I've  done that anywhere.

A quick note about the cage shoes, which aren't second-hand (don't report me) BUT... they rank very highly on my bargain finds list. Originally £95 which is a ridiculous sum for shoes even for me - an addict, they were eventually reduced down to £15 and I snapped them up. My last true bargain before I left Wallis. They are so comfy. And the bag.....another Maggie bag from St Peter's Hospice Nailsea shop for £4.50. I am racking up quite a collection in homage to Dame Thatcher. Quite apt as a lot of the items from her collection went on sale this week. The necklace which you can't quite see is a a amazing twisted snake - £2.99 from a charity shop. I shall post a better picture soon.....

So there you have it. I survived my first Christmas party with a new company and no broken bones to report or scandals to hide from. Apart from my dance moves. Not sure they were ready for those. Not sure if anyone ever will be.....

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!....

No comments:

Post a Comment