Thursday 16 January 2014

Hidden gems.....

So you may have noticed, there isn't much purchasing going on in the Merchant-Locke household of late (unless it's in DIY shops or other such realms). That's ok, it's not about a continuous stream of newness into the wardrobe, it's about recycling and falling in love again with what you already have and may have unintentionally over-looked. The pieces below are two such items. 

I came upon them while disseminating what will and what won't make the grade for the dressing room last week. It's a sorry state of affairs when you finally have a dressing room but not everything will fit! 

Both are loved equally but for every different reasons and both are of course second hand. 

Now try not to judge this first one. I know milkmaids spring to mind (or at least they do for me when I look at it) but I had to have it nonetheless. And in the ten years I have owned it, it has been worn only once. On a date, in the early days with John (and in the days when I had a much smaller frame with which to show it off). I teamed it up with a long chunky knit cardigan just to lower the tone somewhat and some camel boots. You can't really see it without enlarging the picture but it is a beautiful pale peach satin fully embroidered with brightly coloured flowers front and back. The only downside, is that it shows your backside! The back is slightly higher than the length at the front and although fine with the long cardi, a tad too risqué without, unless you are Miss Moss. 

I bought in from a little vintage shop in Bath and it was quite expensive but thankfully a kind ex bought it for me after seeing my childlike grin the minute we walked in. 

I can't see her ever making it back into the wearable stakes BUT she shall certainly be kept and passed down to either my niece or my stepdaughters. I have a big box already started of lovely things I'm keeping for them. 
This one will definitely be worn again. £7 from a St Peters Hospice shop in Fishponds, Bristol. Satin again and this time from Zara, I am a sucker for a nice wrap dress. They are so flattering. A little tight at the moment (as is 80% of my wardrobe!), but she won't be going into the legacy box.


As for new purchases, there may be one or two this weekend as I have a rare weekend off  and John and I are off to explore the lovely city of Cardiff . I have already done my research on vintage shops and markets of which I am pleased to report there are several.

Poor John..........again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment